Subject: Quake Mini-FAQ. . . . . . . . . . (96/09/18)
From: [email-masked] (Tom Wheeley)
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.quake.announce,rec.games.computer.quake.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

.d'     'b.
   d'         `b
 .$'           `$.                                          .
 dF             9b     9$     $F         $.         9F    .P       9F   `$
 $L             J$     $$     $$        d`$.        $$  .dP        $$
 Y$             $P     $$     $$       d' $$.       $$*'Y$b.       $$*
 `$b    9$F    d$'     $$     $$      d' `"$$.      $$    `$b      $$
  `$b.  8$8  .d$'      Y$.   .$P     d'     $$.     $$      $      "$  .:$
    "$$@@$@@$$"         `'" "'`                             '       `"'`"'
      `"Y$P"'
        I$I          m     i     n     i     -     f     a     q
        `$'
         $
         *                          by Tom Wheeley <[email-masked]>

  Table of Contents.  (Some changed sections prefixed with '|')

    Intro

    1 - What is Quake?
        1.1   Overview of Quake.
        1.2   Playability issues
        1.3   What platforms will Quake run on?
        1.4   Hardware requirements.
        1.5   How well do network games run

    2 - Where can I get Quake?

    3 - FAQs regarding the Quake Shareware (temporary Quake FAQ)

    4 - Further Information on Quake.
        4.1   Documents with Quake information.
        4.2   Newsgroups and IRC.
        4.3   A full Quake FAQ.
        4.4   Running a Quake server.

    5 - Popular Quake Internet sites.
        5.1   FTP sites
        5.2   WWW sites

* Intro                                                                    *

     The purpose of this document is to inform people about the game Quake
  and to reduce the amount of frequently asked questions to the relevant
  Usenet newsgroups.  It is *not* a source of information on Quake itself,
  for that see the Quake FAQ (section 4.3)

     This FAQ may be distributed freely, provided it remains unaltered,
  and the original author is mentioned.  It is forbidden to redistribute
  this FAQ commercially in the form of magazines, books, CDs or other pay
  services without prior permission of the author, Tom Wheeley
                                                   <[email-masked]>

     This mini FAQ will be reposted weekly to relevant gaming Usenet news
  groups and it's latest version can be retrieved from:

        ftp://ftp.mantis.co.uk/pub/quake/periodic/mini_faq

     Thank you to joost schuur ([email-masked]), who originally
  wrote the mini FAQ.

* 1 *  What is Quake?                                                      *

1.1 Overview of Quake

     Quake is a 3D 'point of view' action orientated game with
  certain role playing elements from id Software. It is the successor
  to DOOM and features an engine with many enhancements, such as:

   . full six degrees of freedom. no more 4.5 degrees as in DOOM
   . polygon based, texture mapped items
   . environmental sound effects
   . jumping and looking keys but no use key
   . several different death scenes
|  . blood trails and decapitations
   . highly advanced networking capabilities:

      + Quake servers that can be linked among each other
|       (Maybe only in QuakeWorld - id's next project)
      + Up to 16 players in one game (over network)
      + leave/join games in progress
      + source code availability for the server. make your
        own modifications and recompile on other platforms.

   . Quake comes with its own C like programming language, allowing you
     to create add-ons to the game never before possible

     Quake is centred round a medieval / sci-fi theme, with `slip gates',
  teleportation machines being used for malignant purposes by the evil
  Quake from another dimension.

     All the sounds for Quake are being done by Trent Reznor, of Nine
| Inch Nails fame.  The Registered Quake CD contains music by Trent Reznor
| for Quake as standard CD Audio tracks, but you can use any audio CD.

     The specification for Quake has changed many times and this has drawn
  criticism to id for 'lying'.  Remember it is often very difficult to
  implement all the great ideas that you may have for a game.  To quote:

  "We're often wrong about what we think is going to happen".  ddt on IRC

1.2 Playability issues

   o  Control

   .  JUMP control.  Jump over knee high obstacles at last (unlike DOOM)
   .  LOOK control.  Hold down the look control, and you can effectively
      turn your head with the direction keys / mouse
   .  No USE control.  Switches are `switched' by walking/shooting.

   o  Movement

   .  No Strafe-Running bug (It may feel slow when you run diagonally)
   .  In general, the speed is slower
   .  Always-run menu opion

   o  Weapons

      Quake uses DOOM-like military style weapons instead of Medieval ones:
   .  Shotgun           Super Shotgun
   .  Nailgun           Super Nailgun    (Ammo has NiN logo on it)
   .  Rocket Launcher   Grenade Launcher
|  .  Thunderbolt/Lightning Gun/Rosebush Waterer

|     The hand to hand weapon is an Axe, and is quite effective

   o  Deathmatch

   .  Quake Deathmatch is far superior to DOOM Deathmatch due to the
      enhanced control system and the gallons of blood which fly everywhere.
      The registered version of Quake also comes with 6 special DM levels!
|     (The first three of which are the three maps in the Quake Test version)
|  .  Standard deathmatch is '-altdeath'

   o  Tricks and Traps

   .  With the enhanced engine that Quake offers, there are a greater
      range of devious traps, mainly involving spikes, lava and crushing
      ceilings.

   .  Secret areas are designed to be either hard to find or to be behind
      shootable doors.

   .  No longer are doors and moving items restricted to up and down
      movements.  For example, one door is designed from four triangles,
      which open out from the centre.

   o  Miscellaneous

   .  Lava is much more dangerous than before
   .  Armour is much more useful
   .  There is now water and realistic swimming.  It is now possible to
      `run out of breath' whilst underwater.

1.3 What platforms will Quake run on?

     There has been great debate on which platform Quake will arrive
  first.  Due to the larger market, this is DOS.

  Dos + Windows95:
     Quake is designed to run in DOS, but will run in Windows95 if you
  have 16Mb of Memory.  A native Windows 95 version of Quake should be
| released sometime after the DOS release.  Quake has been designed to be
| able to use Windows95's Winsock (in a DOS box) for internet play.

  OS/2:
     Quake will run in an OS/2 Dos box if you give it at least 8Mb of DPMI
  memory.  One warning : Quake takes all DPMI memory that is given.  So
  don't give it 512MB of DPMI, since your swapfile will grow until that
  512MB is full or your harddrive goes berserk (read full).

  Linux:
     A port by ddt for the X Window System has been done.  Note that you
  need a recent kernel to run Quake, but you should really think about
| getting Linux 2 anyway.  For best results, you need a recent version of
| XFree86 with the new DGA extensions.

     id intend to release the source code for the low level parts of the
  game, so that 3rd parties may write their own device drivers.  (This
  enables hardware manufacturers to enable Quake support for their
  devices).

1.4 Hardware Requirements

     This is probably the question that's going through everyone's minds
  the most. 'How will Quake perform on my system?' and 'Will I need a
  pentium system?'.

|    The minimum system for Quake is really a 60MHz Pentium.  Quake is
| not a Pentium only game, but comparisons of Quake on a 486 have been
  made to Doom on a 386.  A P-75 will yield a reasonable frame rate, and a
  P-100 was stated as a _good_ system to play Quake on.

     Quake *requires* a floating point unit, and so people with 486sx
  systems or NexGen Pentium class systems will not be able to run Quake.
  Note that although a 486DX4/100 sounds faster than a Pentium 60, the
  latter has a far superior FPU, so is faster than the 486!

     As far as RAM is concerned, 8 megs is the minimum specification for
  Quake.  12 or more megs certainly helps make playing Quake *much* more
  enjoyable.  Quake is very memory hungry, and you won't get as good a game
  if playing with 8Mb.

     Quake will support the new 3D accelerator cards, but no concrete
  information is available at the moment regarding which ones.  id
  have said that it will be easy for manufacturers of any product to
  write drivers for Quake.

     Hints have been made that a 3D accelerator card will greatly affect the
  performance of Quake.  It is uncertain whether an accelerator card will
  make Quake on a 486 as good as Quake on a Pentium.

1.5 How well do network games run

     For some weeks now, people have been envisioning huge interconnected
  worlds with 'Bands of roving Quake Gods' in them.  Unfortunately, real
  life has to intervene somewhere.

     Quake will be able to support unlimited numbers of players in theory,
  but bandwidth considerations are paramount here.  Network Quake games
  can have between 2 and 16 people in them.  Team games are possible via
  colour co-ordinated pants (`trousers' for wondering Brits ;)

     Over modems, id say that they are aiming for 3 players over a 14,400bps
  connection, and 5 players over a 28,800bps connection.

     Quake is no longer expected to have the live voice system into the
  world, even over ethernet.

* 2 *  Where can I get Quake?                                              *

     Quake is available in 7 disk sized .zip files:

  qsw101_1.zip, qsw101_2.zip, ..., qsw101_7.zip

     or alternatively one big file:

  quake101.zip

     Version 1.01 is the current release proper of Quake.  Note that you
  *cannot* play your own maps with this version, as you could with v0.9x
| You should get (ie pay for) the registered version to run your own maps.
|
|    You can now also get a beta of Quake v1.05, which among other things
| enables Quake to be played with CWSDPMI r3 (Quake is shipped with r2).

     Quake is available from the following FTP sites; please choose the
  site closest to you:

  ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/                  (California, USA) *

  ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/idstuff/quake/           (California, USA) *
  quake.best.com/mirrors/idsoftware/                 (California, USA) *
  ftp.gamesdomain.com/pub/companies/id/quake/        (Tennessee, USA) *
  ftp.cssweb.com/pub/games/idstuff/quake/            (Kentucky, USA) *
  sparky.bright.net/quake/                           (Ohio, USA) *
  ftp.stomped.com/pub/idstuff/quake/                 (Minnesota, USA) *
  www.pht.com/pub/gamehead/id/                       (USA) *
  ftp.technomancer.com/pub/idstuff/quake/            (Virginia, USA) *
  ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/doom/idstuff/quake/  (Arizona, USA) *
  ftp.feist.com/pub/pc/games/quake/                  (Kansas, USA) *
  ftp.ameritel.net/idsoftware/quake/                 (Maryland, USA) *
  ftp.getquake.com/pub/quake/                        (Kansas, USA) *
  quake.osiriscorp.com/pub/idstuff/quake/            (New York, USA) *
  iclass.com/pub/quake/                              (Utah, USA) *
  ftp.islandnet.com/mirrors/idsoftware/              (Victoria, Canada)
  ftp.orst.edu/pub/doom/idstuff/quake/               (Oregon, USA)
  ftp.ais.net/pub/idgames/idstuff/quake/             (Illinois, USA)
  ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/idstuff/quake/    (New York, USA)
  mirrors.aol.com/pub/pc_games/doom/idstuff/quake/   (Virginia, USA)

  garfield.sch.bme.hu/pub/idstuff/quake/             (Budapest, Hungary)
  idmirror.netvision.be/idstuff/quake/               (Heverlee, Belgium)
  ftp.flexnet.net/pub/quake/                         (England)
  ftp.passagen.se/pub/idstuff/                       (Sweden)
  ftp.pk.edu.pl/pub/games/id/idstuff/quake/          (Cracow, Poland)
  camel.frtk-campus.mipt.ru/pub/idstuss/quake/       (Moscow, Russia)
  rulhmpc49.LeidenUniv.nl/pub/mirrors/idsoft/        (Leiden, Holland)
  ftp.gig.nl/pub/idstuff/quake/                      (Amsterdam, Holland)
  ftp.volftp.vol.it/pub2/idstuff/quake/              (Cagliari, Italy)
  ftp.origo.telenor.no/pub/quake/                    (Oslo, Norway)
  ftp.spel.postnet.se/pub/games/id/                  (Sweden)
  ftp.bnd.de/pub/quake/                              (Berlin, Germany)
  ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/pc/msdos/games/doom/idstuff/quake/ (Berlin, Germany)
  ftp.luth.se/pub/games/doom/idstuff/quake/          (Sweden)
  ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/idstuff/quake/   (Sweden)
  flinux.tu-graz.ac.at/pub/idsoftware/idstuff/quake/ (Austria)
  ftp.calvacom.fr/pub/pc/doom/idstuff/quake/         (France)

  nctuccca.edu.tw/PC/games/DOOM/idstuff/quake/       (Taiwan)

  hyperactive.com.au/pub/games/idstuff/quake/        (Sydney, Australia)
  ftp.powerup.com.au/pub/games/doom/idstuff/quake/   (Australia)

  ftp.sun.ac.za/pub/msdos/idgames/idstuff/quake/     (South Africa)

  (sites marked with a * will get quake uploaded directly by idsoftware.
   others are mirroring sites)

  [thanks to joost schuur for this list]

     Make sure you read the documentation before playing.  Especially the
  README.TXT and MANUAL.TXT

|    The Linux version is now at 1.01, and can be found at:
|
| ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/unsup/intel_linux_quake101.tgz

* 3 * FAQs regarding Quake                                                 *

 Q.  There is no music!
 A.  The shareware version of Quake downloadable from the 'net does not
     have any music.  This is because the music, done by Trent Reznor and
     Nine inch Nails, is on CD only.  This results in far better quality
     music.
     If you put any music CD in your CD-ROM drive, then Quake will play
     that CD for you, changing tracks when you change levels.

 Q.  Is there a zoom key?
 A.  Yes.  Hitting F11 will zoom the display tremendously.  Try this when
     looking at a far away monster or power-up.

 Q.  Why doesn't my joystick work?
 A.  Do you have version >= 0.92 yet?  If not, see section 2.  Note also
     that your joystick must be plugged in when Quake launches.

 Q.  How do I kill Chthon?
 A.  Some hints:
     .  Don't waste your ammo
     .  Take a look round the mechanics (and more) of the level first.

* 4 * Further Information on Quake                                         *

4.1 Documents with Quake information

     You can get up-to-date information from the horses mouth, so to
  speak, by accessing John Carmack's (lead programmer at id) work logs. You
  can do this using finger:

   finger [email-masked]

     Also on display is John Cash's (network programmer at id) work logs.

   finger [email-masked]

4.2 Newsgroups and IRC

     A new rec.games.computer.quake newsgroup hierarchy consisting of
  three groups (rgcq.announce, rcgq.editing, rgcq.misc) successfully
  passed the Usenet Call for Votes procedure on 16th November 1995.
  These newsgroups were finally created on January 8th 1996, despite
  uncertainty regarding the final name of Quake.

     Should your newsserver not carry these groups, ask your newsadmin to
  add them.  Until then, Quake can also be discussed on the groups
  comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action and rec.games.computer.doom.misc.

     Please note that alt.games.quake (a.g.q) is now obsolete, and all
  Quake discussion should be within the rec.games.computer.quake
  hierarchy.  For some of the more general discussion typical of a.g.q,
  a new newsgroup, alt.games.upcoming-3d has been created.

     For more information on why alt.games.quake is obsolete (and why
  alt.games.quake cannot just be left alone), read:

    http://www.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/docs/faqs/agqr_faq.html

  The main groups for Quake discussion are now the 'rec groups':

         news:rec.games.computer.quake.announce (moderated)
         news:rec.games.computer.quake.misc
         news:rec.games.computer.quake.editing
         news:rec.games.computer.quake.playing
         news:rec.games.computer.quake.servers

     On IRC (the Internet Relay Chat), Quake enthusiasts already meet on
  the #quake channel.

|    For a taster of the old alt.games.quake, see:
|
|        http://www.tsys.demon.co.uk/games/quake.html

4.3 A full Quake FAQ

     Toby Goldstone <[email-masked]> is currently maintaining
  the full Quake FAQ.  He currently posts it in:

    rec.games.computer.quake.announce

  and there should be a WWW address for it shortly.

4.4 Running a Quake server

     There is not much information regarding Quake Servers at the moment,
  but id may be releasing the source code for the Quake Server.  This
  should mean that you will be able to compile it for many platforms, as
  well as adjust it to suit your means.

     The Quake Servers mailing list has restarted at a new location.  The
  address is now <[email-masked]>.  To subscribe, send mail to
  <mailto:[email-masked]> with `subscribe' in the body
  of the mail.

     Both <http://www.stomped.com> and <http://ironman.planetquake.com/servers.html>
  have frequently updated databases of servers, and can give you information
  on currently running games.

* 5 * Popular Quake Internet sites.                                        *

5.1 FTP sites

     There are two main FTP sites with all the latest utilites and maps.

   - ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/
     (or ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/quake/)

   - ftp://ftp.stomped.com
     The best of what is here is available at <http://www.stomped.com>

5.2 WWW sites

     Here is a list of some of the larger and more famous sites dedicated
     to Quake.  There are many links to other pages from both Aftershock
     and The Quake Stomping Grounds.

   - id Software's site:
     http://www.idsoftware.com
     If you have problems accessing this site, then try:
     http://206.61.48.163

   - The Quake MiniFAQ on the Web
     http://doomgate.cs.buffalo.edu/docs/FAQ/djmfaq/dj-quakefaq
     http://home.pages.de/~helmberg/Quake-Mini-FAQ.html

   - Aftershock, where Quake awoke - Sadly, this site was closed down for
     all but the files section :(
     http://www.nuqneH.org/aftershock

   - The Quake Stomping Grounds
     Screenshots, Maps, Utilities, Benchmarks, Hacks, Monsters, Console cmds
     http://www.stomped.com

   - The Quake Development support pages.  (For people *writing* Quake utils)
     http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake

****************************************************************************
Please send suggestions for the FAQ to the maintainer: [email-masked]
Mail regarding the HTML-izing of the FAQ should go to the respective author