Subject: Quake Secrets 1.6
From: [email-masked] (Kyle R. Hofmann)
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.quake.announce,rec.games.computer.quake.misc,rec.games.computer.quake.playing

_.     ._    _____  _____        _          _____          . _____ ______
 .:'.'     `.`:. `: :'  `: :'      .' `.        `: :'        .'; `: :' `-.  |
:' :'       `: `: | |    | |      .'.. `.        | |       .'.'   | |     `:|
|  |         |  | | |    | |     .'.'`. `.       | :     .' .'    | :       '
|  :         :  | | |    | |    .'.'  `. `.      | `._ .'  <      | `:._
|  `:  ___  :'  | | |    | |   .' :_ _:'  `.     | .'  `-.  `.    | .:'
`:  `:.: :.:'  :' | :    : |  .'.:'    `:. `.    | :      `: `.   | :       .
 `:.  `' `'  .:'  : `:..:' : .'.'        `. `.   | |        `.|   :.`._   .'|
   `"-., ,.-"'     `--'`--' -'-'-        -`--`- -'-`-        `:    `---' '--`
       | |
       | |                   Secrets List 1.6
       `.'
                            By Kyle R. Hofmann

This list can also be viewed as an HTML document <A
HREF="http://www.crl.com/~rhofmann/secrets.html>here</A>.

This list can also be viewed as a plain text file here.

Table of Contents:

  Introduction
  The Secrets
  
    Introduction
    Episode One:
      E1M1: The Slipgate Complex
      E1M2: Castle of the Damned
      E1M3: The Necropolis
      E1M4: The Grisly Grotto
      E1M5: Gloom Keep
      E1M6: The Door to Chthon
      E1M7: The House of Chthon
      E1M8: Ziggurat Vertigo
    
    Episode Two:
      E2M1: The Installation
      E2M2: Ogre Citadel
      E2M3: Crypt of Decay
      E2M4: The Ebon Fortress
      E2M5: The Wizard's Manse
      E2M6: The Dismal Ouibliette
      E2M7: Underearth
    
    Episode Three:
      E3M1: Termination Central
      E3M2: The Vaults of Zin
      E3M3: The Tomb of Terror
      E3M4: Satan's Dark Delight
      E3M5: Wind Tunnels
      E3M6: Chambers of Torment
      E3M7: The Haunted Halls
    
    Episode Four:
      E4M1: The Sewage System
      E4M2: The Tower of Despair
      E4M3: The Elder God Shrine
      E4M4: The Palace of Hate
      E4M5: Hell's Atrium
      E4M6: The Pain Maze
      E4M7: Azure Agony
      E4M8: The Nameless City
    
    Shub Niggurath's Pit
  
  Contributors

Introduction

This document lists all of the secrets in the id Software's Quake.  
They are listed in the order they are found in each level.  With few 
exceptions, all of the secrets listed here are counted by the game in its
official tally.  Those exceptions are:

  The nightmare difficulty secret
  The Dopefish secret
  Entrances to secret levels

If you have a comment, suggestion, or addition, please email me at 
[email-masked].  MAIL NOT RELATED TO THE CONTENTS OF THIS DOCUMENT AND 
MAIL REQUESTING INFORMATION IN THIS DOCUMENT MAY BE DELETED WITHOUT 
NOTICE!  N.B.: "Your description of this secret is unclear to me" is 
perfectly fine; but "give me the seekrits, d00d!!1!" will be viciously 
deleted.

Permission is granted to distribute this list in any electronic format, so
long as the following conditions are met:

   1. The list is not changed in any way, except in cases where:
  
     a. The fact that is has been changed from its original form is
         clearly stated at or near the beginning of the document and
     b. The name of the person or group who has changed it is added to the
         contributors section at the end of this list.
  
   2. The contributors section at the end of this list is not changed or
       removed, except to comply with the above condition.
   3. I am credited as the original author of this document.
   4. Fees are not charged, excepting fees for the cost of distribution.

If you wish to publish this document in a printed format, you must:

   1. Comply with all the conditions listed above, excepting changes to
       the formatting of the document.
   2. Contact me with a message informing me of your wish to publish
       this document, including:
  
     a. The name of the publication and
     b. Whether the document has been changed, excepting formatting.

The large "Quake" logo at the top of the text version of this document
may be distributed and reproduced separately, under the sole condition
that I am credited as the artist.

If you have any questions regarding the distribution of this document,
please contact me.  Thank you for your compliance.

Secrets

Introduction:

#1 - From the start of the level: Enter one of the difficulty selection
slipgates.  Walk towards episode 4.  Jump into the pool and duck 
underneath the platform you were just standing on.  Drop through the 
water.  You will land on a beam of wood.  Walk into the hall.  At 
the end is a slipgate that activates Nightmare mode. 

E1M1 - The Slipgate Complex:

#1 - Forward and to the right of the start is a ledge with flashing
lights.  The wall facing away from your start location has a red design 
on it.  Shoot the wall to receive a box of shells.

#2 - Method #1: Underneath the first bridge you come to is a river.  Enter 
the cavern it flows into.  On a small island in the river is a 100 health 
box and a door.  The door cannot be opened from this side.  At the end of 
the cavern is a lift to help you escape.

Method #2: Go to the small room immediately preceding the end of the level.  
Position yourself at the top of the ramp and face to the right of the 
slipgate.  There should be a column on the wall.  Shoot the wall to
the right of the column.  It will open, revealing the river and 100 health 
box.

#3 - Method #1: Enter the room past the first bridge.  To the right is a 
column and a ledge.  Stand next to the ledge and face the column.  Shoot the 
globe texture on the column.  A platform will rise and you will 
be on the ledge.  Shoot the globe texture to your right on the 
ledge.  The wall behind the globe will open, leading to a quad damage item.

Method #2: After the bridge across the pool of slime is a short hallway.  
Go around the corner.  One of the wall panels on your right will be red.  
Shoot it and it will open, revealing another path to the quad damage.

#4 - Go to the bridge across the shallow slime pool.  Halfway across the 
bridge, turn to your left.  There will be a red target inset slightly 
above your the level of your head.  Shoot it.  On your left, a part of 
the wall will have opened and revealed a double barreled shotgun.

#5 - Past the shallow slime pool is a tall room with a deep slime pool.
Walk to the second landing.  There will be a button and a light in front
of you.  Jump onto the banister.  Jump onto the light.  Step onto the
top of the button.  Look at the wall in front of you.  There will be a
ledge and two blocks jutting out.  Run and jump to the lowest block.  Jump
up to the next block and to the ledge.  Inside is a 100 health box.

#6 - Go down to the bottom of the deep slime pool room.  Behind the right
column will be a biosuit.  Take it.  Jump into the slime.  Swim 
underneath the door.  Follow the tunnel to where it opens
into a slightly larger area.  Overhead is a platform mostly obscured by the 
opaque water.  In the center is an opening which extends down into the 
water.  Swim through the opening.  There is yellow armor, some health,
and a slipgate to the room just past the first bridge.

E1M2 - Castle of the Damned:

#1 - Method #1: From the start, walk down the stairs and jump off to the 
right into the water.  There should be a green, lit wall in front of 
you.  Shoot it and it will open.  Walk through the passage and surface.

Method #2: Go to the bridge with the big red stained glass window.  Jump off 
the bridge and swim underneath it, going away from the window.  You will 
swim under an arch and come into a small room.  There will be a ramp on 
the left.  Walk up the ramp to reach the room.

#2 - Go to the bridge with the big red stained glass window.  On a
parallel bridge to your left will be a double barreled shotgun.  Jump
off and swim under the bridge with the double barreled shotgun.  At the
end of the passage is a big room.  As you enter the room, the wall to the
left of you will open up.  There will be 25 health, a box of nails, and a
slipgate to the ledge opposite the one containing the double barrelled 
shotgun.

#3 - Go to the room with the silver key door.  Go up the stairs.  On one 
of the columns, facing the windows, will be a small plate of stone.  Push 
it.  A door will open to reveal a quad damage item.

E1M3 - The Necropolis:

#1 - From the start: Forward and to the left.  Get the grenade launcher.
Turn to the left. There will be an ogre behind a set of bars and a
couple of other monsters.  There will be two paths: one through the
door to the left and a set of steps leading down and to the right.  Take the
steps.  Go along the passage until you reach a bridge.  Jump down.  To
the left of the bridge and behind where you came from is an alcove.
Shoot the back of the alcove and the wall will open.  There will be rockets
and health inside.

#2 - Starting from the same bridge from which you jumped down in #1, cross
the bridge and turn right.  There will be a short passage, two sets of
stairs, and a platform down.  Go down and turn to face the left wall of
the passage you just went down.  There will be a short corridor there.  Go
down the corridor until you reach a shallow lake.  To your left will be
the gold key.  Take it.  Turn slightly to the left.  There will be an
area of the wall darker and with a slightly different texture from the
rest.  Go right up to it.  You will fall beneath the water.  Ahead is a
short passage.  Swim through it and up to land.  There will be a ring of
the shadows there.

#3 - From the area with the ogre behind bars (described in secret #1),
take the door.  Get the nailgun and shoot the symbol.  Go down the
steps and follow the passage.  There will be a series of platforms.
Go across the platforms.  You will reach a locked door.  Open it (it
uses the gold key whose location is described in secret #2).  Follow the
passage.  Jump down to a set of tunnels filled with slime.  Go forward,
turn left, forward again, left, take the first tunnel on the right, and up
the ramp.  Open the door.  Above you will be two ogres on platforms.  To
your right is a yellow armor blocked by two sets of two bars each.
Killing the ogres above removes the bars.  Shoot the wall behind the
armor.  The wall will open, revealing a slipgate.  Go through the
slipgate.  You will be on the platforms that the ogres were standing on.
There are rockets here.

E1M4 - The Grisly Grotto:

#1 - Through the door at the start there is a set of spiral stairs.  On
the left and right at the top are two red symbols.  Shoot them.  The
ceiling will fall, revealing a yellow suit of armor.

#2 - From the bottom of the stairs, go through the passage.  You will come
upon a deep lake.  Get the biosuit.  Dive into the water.  Directly to
your right should be a small ledge where you can surface.  Go up and you
will get a box of rockets.

#3 - From the pier with the silver key:  Jump off and swim in the
direction of the pier.  Surface on the other side.  Go through the
silver key door and to the left.  Follow the passage.  You should reach a
small body of blue slime with a bridge over it.  Go to the end of the
bridge and ride the platform up.  Step on all the touchplates.  Two
doors will open in the walls.  Enter both and press the buttons.  The
game should tell you that a secret cave has opened.  Jump onto the
bridge and head back out to the deep pool where you got the silver
key.  Along the right wall of the cave will be a large, bright
circular opening.  Enter it.  Swim up.  Inside a little room is a
grenade launcher, health, and a slipgate to the secret level.

E1M5 - Gloom Keep:

#1 - Jump to the right and off the bridge you start on.  There will be an
area sticking out of the wall, almost like a column.  Beneath the water
is an opening to a ledge with a box of nails and 100 health.

#2 - Cross the bridge at the start and turn right.  Follow the walkway and
pass through the gate.  There should be a stairway down the passage.
Jump onto the banister of the stairway.  Jump across to a ledge that
juts out from the wall.  Run along the ledge and jump across to a
platform with an ogre.  There are rockets and armor on the platform.

#3 - Cross the bridge at the start and go through the gate.  Walk along
the passageway until you reach a room where you are standing on a
Y-shaped platform.  From there, take the right fork.  Follow the passage
and you will come into a large room.  Forward and to the left is a
staircase.  On the right will be a square area with a column in the
center.  Walk up to the column.  Jump up and hit the torch with your
head.  Behind the column, a door will open in the wall, revealing yellow
armor and a touchplate to open the wall if it closes before you leave.

#4 - From the same large room described in secret #3, climb the
staircase.  To the right is another set of stairs and an octogonal room
with a slipgate to the gold key.  Go behind the slipgate and step or
You will end up near the start on top of the building you enter.  There
is a quad damage nearby.

#5 - When you fall down the passage to the exit slipgate, turn around.
The wall will look turned --- it has roll added to it.  Shoot the
wall.  It will open, leading to a slipgate back to the gold key doors.

E1M6 - The Door to Chthon:

#1 - From the start, jump down.  To the left will be a corridor.  At the
end is a design suspended over lava.  Ahead of that is a door which opens
as you walk down the corridor, and to the left is another door. Enter the
door ahead of you.  Turn to the right.  There should be an obvious, but
still hidden door ahead and a room forward and to the right.  Walk in
front of that room.  Turn to face away from the room and look up.  There
will be a red Q symbol and a system of air ducts.  Shoot it.  The hidden
door, now to your right, will open.  Ride the lift up onto the air
ducts.  Walk to the edge and look down and to your left.  You should see
the ceiling of the room below.  Jump onto the ceiling.  There will be a
quad damage powerup there.

#2 - Go to the room to the left of the design suspended over lava.  Push
the button with the Q.  Fall into the pit that opens behind you.  Wait
for the stairs to form and then walk down them.  There is a passage with
a 100 health item at one end and a spiked wall at the other.  As you walk
down the hall, bars come down and block your exit, a wall opens,
revealing several ogres, and the spiked wall begins to come towards you.
Kill the ogres and escape using a lift that becomes unbarred with their
death.  Jump down onto the stairs into the middle of the lava.  These are
the same stairs you just went down.  The bars will go up at some point and
you will be able to enter.  This time when you enter, the bars will not
go down, and if the spiked wall has returned to it's original position,
it will move as soon as you enter (If it has not, simply go behind it and
through the slipgate).  Trigger the wall and go back.  Wait for the wall
to pass and go behind it.  There will be a slipgate which leads to a
super nailgun and a box of nails.  You will also be able to jump to a
landing with a 100 health box.

#3 - Below the start is a completely dark room.  Once you get the silver
key, this room lights up.  Cross the pit in this room and go to the end
of the passage.  Turn left.  You should be facing a set of stairs with a
closed door at the top.  To the right of the stairs is a column and a
large chamber with a Q switch in it.  Hit the switch.  Go to the side
of the column that points away from the chamber.  A red symbol will have
been uncovered.  Shoot it.  The stairs with the closed door will lower.
At the bottom is a box of rockets.

#4 - Stay at the bottom of the stairs in #3 until they rise again.  There
will be a slipgate down a small flight of stairs.  Walk through.  You will
be on a ledge above the room you were just in.  On another ledge across from
the one you are on is a 100 health box.

E1M7 - The House of Chthon:

There are no secrets on this level.

E1M8 - Ziggurat Vertigo:

#1 - At the start, you should see a Pentagram of Protection.  Get the
pentagram and dive into the lava by the bridge. Swim beneath the bridge
away from the ziggurat and you will emerge in a small room.  There is a
quad damage powerup, health, and a slipgate to the bridge in front of the
ziggurat.

#2 - Behind the silver key door, there is a passage to the left and one
to the right.  Take the one on the left.  Follow it to the end.  On your
right should be a wall with a dark border on one section.  Shoot that
section.  A door in the wall will open, leading to two boxes of nails.

E2M1 - The Installation:

#1 - From the start, leave the hall and enter the large room.  Walk out
onto the bridge and jump off to the left and swim underneath the large
structure.  In the corner will be a small tunnel leading up.  Swim up the
tunnel and take the red armor.

#2 - Go to the gold key room.  There are two large, slanted sets of bars
on each side of the room.  At the side of one is a set of steps.  Jump up
the steps and onto the tiny platform.  Walk through the wall and get the
100 health box.

#3 - Jump into the pool of water in the gold key room.  Swim into either
tunnel.  At the end is a small room with ammo, health, and a slipgate to
the bridge near the gold key room.

#4 - By the gold key door is a room which looks out onto a pool.  Jump
into the pool and swim to the right.  Shoot the grate at the bottom and
it will open.  Swim down the tunnel and get the biosuit.  Follow the tunnel
and surface.  There is a grenade launcher, health, and a slipgate to the
location of the silver key on hard and nightmare.

#5 - Go to the tunnel you swim through in secret #4.  Opposite the
biosuit will be a grate.  Shoot the grate three times.  Go to the room
described in secret #4.  There will be a newly-opened room with a
pentagram of protection.

#6 - Near the end of the level is a tall structure made of crisscrossing
metal bars.  There is a set of lifts to get to the top.  Run over the
bottom lift and you will enter a hidden room.  Shoot the left wall to get
a quad damage.

#7 - At the top of the structure by a staircase leading down is an
opening in the structure.  Jump though the opening and down.  Get the
yellow armor and jump through another opening to exit.

E2M2 - Ogre Citadel:

#1 - Walk down the stairs at the start and jump off the ledge and into
the moat.  On the left will be a small room.  Walk to the back wall and
ride the lift up to a 100 health.

#2 - From the area you reached in secret #1, walk down the river.  At the
far end of it you will find a dark area with a low ceiling.  Walk up the
stairs and take the grenade launcher.  Be warned, this opens a door to
your left which leads late into the level.

#3 - Along the path to the gold key, you will walk along a series of
platforms.  One of these will have a quad damage on it and a jump to
another platform.  Below, between, and to the right of the quad damage
platform is a window.  (After getting the gold key and exiting the room
it is in, this window is on your left.)  Jump through this window and out
onto a ledge where you can reach a yellow armor, a 100 health, and a
slipgate to the hall near the window.

E2M3 - The Crypt of Decay:

#1 - At the start of the level, ride the lift up.  Walk to the bridge and
jump off.  Swim into the tunnel beneath the green armor.  Turn left and
swim through the arch.  Swim forward and take the passage on your right.
There will be a red armor and a slipgate.

#2 - When you pick up the gold key, three small chambers will be
revealed.  One of these has a torch.  Shoot the back wall of the chamber
and it will open.  There will be a 100 health box, a yellow armor in the
water, and the path to the secret level (blocked until secret #4).

#3 - Go to the walkway by the gold key door.  Facing away from the gold
key door, there is a platform in the distance with several zombies on
it.  Kill the zombies and a corridor on the right will open up.  Walk
through the corridor and take the box of rockets at the end.

#4 - Past the hall filled with spike shooters there is a bridge and a
tower.  Cross the bridge and turn left.  Walk up the stairs and to the
boxes.  Look up and shoot the red target.  A small step will be raised.
Jump up the step and onto the boxes.  The wall in front of you will have
opened.  Go inside for a 100 health and a button which opens the path to
the secret level (described in #2).

The Dopefish secret - Walk through the hall filled with spike shooters.
Midway to the tower, stop and turn left.  There is an extremely tiny
ledge on the wall.  It's almost invisible due to the lighting.  Run to
the edge of the bridge and jump to the ledge.  Following the ledge to the
left leads to a quad damage.  Following the ledge to the right leads to a
small tunnel.  Jump into the tunnel and take the health.  Jump down and
into the Well of Wishes.  Swim down.  Take the Pentagram and the
biosuit.  Admire the dopefish.  When you are ready to leave, walk up to
the wall in the small passage opposite the entrance.  The wall will open,
leading to the underwater area in secret #2.

E2M4 - The Ebon Fortress:

#1 - From the start, jump down the ledge and enter the water.  Swim to
the right and into shallow water.  In the corner is a hole leading to a
quad damage, a yellow armor, and ammo.

#2 - On the outside of the fortress is a platform with several ogres.
Walk across the platform and down the stairs on the other end.  Turn and
face the stairs.  To the right is a small path.  Shoot the back wall and
it will open, leading to a 100 health box.

#3 - From secret #2, go back up the path and up the stairs in front of
you.  You will be facing a slanted wooden wall.  Turn right and look at
the wall in front of you.  On the right is a small wooden area.  Shoot it
and it will open.  Walk up the slanted area and onto a ledge.  Walk along
the ledge to the area that was opened.  There is a pentagram inside.

#4 - At the area with the silver key, there is a small river of slime
inside the structure.  Jump into the river, swim to the end, and climb
up.  Get the red armor and the biosuit and swim back.

E2M5 - The Wizard's Manse:

#1 - From the start, walk out onto the bridge.  Jump off and swim to the
far side of the raised area in the middle.  Ride the lift up.  Take the
ammo.

#2 - Walk up the stairway to the gold key.  Walk to the start of the
walkway with the gold key.  Turn left.  There will be a section of the
wall in front of you which doesn't have the metal decoration on it.
Shoot it and it will open.  Get the red armor and jump down the shaft.
Turn around.  Take the quad damage and jump into the water.

E2M6 - The Dismal Ouiblette:

#1 - In the area accessible via the first bridge, go to the area past the
first bar.  You will be standing on a platform over a pool of water.  Jump
into the pool and turn around.  Swim forward and to the left and take the
quad damage.

#2 - Near the gold key door is an elevator leading to three different
floors.  Near the start of the second floor is a split in the hallway.
The path forward will be blocked with a bar, while the path to the left
leads to a button that draws the bar.  Shoot the wall to the right.
There is a pentagram and a 100 health inside.

E2M7 - The Underearth:

#1 - To the left of the gold key door is a small plate of stone on the
wall.  Push it and a small room to the left with a quad damage will open
up.

#2 - Just past the gold key door is a long bridge.  Jump off the bridge
and into the slime.  Behind you is a biosuit.  Take it.  Walk to the end
of the bridge and swim down.  Get the red armor.  Swim back up.  Push the
button on the wall near where the biosuit was.  Two steps to your left
will raise.  Jump up them to escape the slime.

Super secret - Spread throughout the level are small areas with a texture
of a blue gargoyle on them.  The first time you shoot each of them, it
bleeds.  If you shoot all of them in the level, a super secret is
accessible.  Go past the room with the large spike shooting torch
holder.  Enter the hallway with the two green lights.  There will be
small indentations on the left and right.  Go to the one on the right.
Shoot the wall at the back and it opens.  Inside is a strange texture,
named RAVEN, and two sets of initials, TC and TW, set in stone.  These
are apparently Tim Willitis and his sister Theresa Chasar's initials, and
the RAVEN texture comes from the raven series of Doom levels they made.

E3M1 - Termination Central:

#1 - From the start of the level, get on the lift and go down.  Go behind
the metal barrier and enter the hallway.  Walk to where the path splits.
Take the left path.  Follow the path until you reach a bridge.  Turn
right and the wall should be darker.  Shoot it.  It will open, revealing
a red armor.

#2 - Walk through the level until you reach a platform suspended above
slime with a quad damage and a tower in the middle.  On the left side of
the platform are two sets of stairs.  Jump between them and land on the
platform below.  Get the health and ammo and ride the lift up.

#3 - From the same platform, walk around the tower in the middle to the
back.  Look at the wall.  The area below should be brighter.  Jump off and
swim down.  Swim through the tunnel and climb onto the metal platforms
above.  Get the health and ammo and take the slipgate to the beginning of
the level.

#4 - From the same platform, take either set of stairs and walk through
the hall.  Walk out onto the platform and to the lift.  Turn left and you
should be facing a dark area.  There is a ledge on the far wall.  Jump
to the ledge.  Turn left and follow the ledge to reach a quad damage.

#5 - From the lift described above, take the lift up and go to the
right.  You will be facing a metal structure.  Walk around to the back
and enter it.  Climb up to the top of the structure.  Turn left.  The
texture on the wall in front of you should not have any lights.  Shoot
the wall and it will open.  Enter the hall and follow the ramp.  Ride the
lift up and take the 100 health box.

E3M2 - The Vaults of Zin:

#1 - From the start, walk forward and turn left.  Walk forward and turn
right.  You should be facing a grenade launcher.  Jump down into the
shallow lava below.  Turn around and take the 100 health.  Ride the lift
up.

#2 - Go to the room with the large crucifixion texture on the wall.  In
the lower right of that texture will be an area with a slightly different
texture.  Shoot it.  Jump to it and get the ring of shadows inside.  The
slipgate leads to the area outside the secret.

#3 - From the same room, ride the lift down and turn left.  Press the
button on the wall.  Enter the small hallway that opens.  Push the button
and leave the hall.  Enter the slipgate to get back to the room with the
crucifixion texture.  Jump down.  Behind you will be a room with a
button.  On the right wall will be a slightly different texture.  Shoot
it and the wall opens.  Enter the slipgate and you will on the air ducts
above the room.  Get the health and ammo and jump down.

E3M3 - The Tomb of Terror:

#1 - From the start, walk around the stairs.  Press the button on the
back of the stairs and walk back to the start.  A door will have opened.
Enter the door and walk out onto the platform.  You will be facing a pool
of lava and button on the floor.  Step on the button and a staircase will
rise out of the lava.  Walk up the stairs and turn right.  Look up and
you will see a red button on the wall.  Shoot it and look down.  A door
will have opened in the wall.  Jump to the door and enter the slipgate
inside.  You will be above the room.  There is a red armor here.

#2 - From the lava pool described in secret #1, climb up the stairs and
enter the hall.  Go to the right.  You will be in a large room with a
small river in front of you.  Jump in and swim to the right.  At the
bottom is a 100 health box.

E3M4 - Satan's Dark Delight:

#1 - Fight through the level until you reach a button that extends a
bridge over a pool of water.  Press the button.  Cross the bridge that
comes out and the next bridge.  Walk through the hall.  Kill the ogre on
the platform in the large room with the button.  Press the button.  Enter
the door that opens and walk up the ramp.  Turn around and you will see a 
green light.  Shoot it and steps will come out of the wall.  Walk up the 
steps to receive ammo and health.

#2 - Go to the large area with a floating platform.  When you step on the
platform, it should begin to move.  It will take you past a button.
Don't shoot it.  It will then round a corner and reveal a button far
off.  Shooting this button will crush the ogre below.  Eventually the
platform will stop and turn right.  A platform will be beneath you.  Jump
to the platform and shoot the corner.  The wall will open.  Enter the
room to get a yellow armor, quad damage, ammo, and health.

#3 - Go to the secret room described in secret #2.  Along the bottom of one
side of the wall are small white lights.  Shoot all of them to open up a
new room which has a pentagram.

#4 - After the leaving the large room with the moving platform you will
ride a lift up.  You will enter a dark room with several lights above.
One of these lights is green.  Shoot it and a room with a pentagram will
reveal itself.

Secret level - Leave the room with the green ceiling light.  Walk down
the hall and you will reach a tall staircase.  Go down and walk onto the
stone ledges on either side.  Turn to face the middle of the lava pool
beneath the staircase.  In the center is a small hole.  Jump into it and
you will be whisked to the secret level.

E3M5 - Wind Tunnels:

#1 - Enter the first of the three main wind tunnels.  Walk up the stairs
and enter the hall.  Round the first turn and walk to the second.  In the
corner is a small hole in the ground.  Jump down to reach a small chamber
with ammo and a slipgate to the quad damage ledge at the exit of the
first wind tunnel.

#2 - Enter the second main wind tunnel.  Walk down the steps and past the
wind tunnel.  Jump into the water and swim into a small room.  It has a
rocket launcher, health, and ammo.

#3 - Enter the third main wind tunnel.  Travel until you reach the large
pit.  Walk to the far side of the pit and face the entrance.  Look up.
Shoot the red button and a wall will open.  Inside is a biosuit, health and
ammo. 

#4 - Right in front of the entrance is an octogonal area of the floor
that looks different.  Shoot it and it opens.  Jump down.  Inside is
ammo, health, and a slipgate to the platform with the three main wind
tunnels.

E3M6 - Chambers of Torment:

#1 - Go to the room with the silver key.  Look up at the ceiling.  Shoot
the red button.  One of the wall panels will come down.  Follow the
passage and you will end up in a hall behind a stone decoration.  Get the
armor and walk to the end of the hall.  Jump up and into the corridor.
Enter the room.  Get the quad damage and step on the button to open up
the exit.

#2 - Go to the room with the gold key door.  Enter the room that leads to
the gold key.  Ride the lift up.  Look up and shoot the red button.  A
section of the wall will slide away, allowing you to jump off the lift
and onto a set of metal bars with ammo and health on them.

E3M7 - The Haunted Halls:

#1 - Go to the room with the bridge over lava, two grates on the wall, and
the yellow armor.  One of the grates will be bloody.  Shoot it. It will
open and a bridge will rise.  Get the quad damage inside.

#2 - From that same room, cross the bridge and go to the left.  On your
right will be a lift.  Step on the lift and back off of it.  Jump into
the hole left by it.  There is a 100 health box and a slipgate to the
entrance to the room described in secret #1.

#3 - Go to the room near the exit with two ledges on opposite sides
separated by a lava pool.  On the first ledge is a button on your
left.  Go to the button and look up.  Shoot the red button on the ceiling
and the wall to your right will open.  There is a quad damage, a 100
health box, and a yellow armor inside.

#4 - From that same room, ride the lift which lowers after you press the
button.  It will take you to a bridge above the pool.  Walk about halfway
across the bridge and turn to the right.  You should be facing an ogre
blocked behind three curved stone bars.  Jump to the bars.  The wall will
open and you can go through.  Inside is a pentagram of protection.

E4M1 - The Sewer System:

#1 - Drop down the shaft at the beginning and into the water.  Climb out
and go the gold key door.  Jump in the water and swim into the metal
tunnel.  You will reach a lift.  Ride the lift up and walk onto the ledge
Turn right.  There should be a computer screen on the wall.  Shoot it and
the wall will open.  Inside is a quad damage and a yellow armor.

#2 - Enter the gold key door.  Walk down the hall.  You will find a
ramp.  Above you will be several flourescent lights.  One of them will be
green.  Run up the ramp and hit the green one with your head (This takes
practice to do consistently).  The wall to your left will open, leading
to a quad damage and a 100 health box.

#3 - After opening the flood gates and swimming through the passages they
blocked, you will enter a large pool.  Surface and climb onto the ledge.
Walk up the stairs and turn around.  Look up and you will see a red
button.  Shoot it.  Walk down the stairs and to the right.  There will be
ammo and a slipgate to the gold key door.

#4 - Open the gates in the large pool described above.  Swim down and
into the room.  As you enter, grunts will float down from above.  On the
left side of the ceiling is a small room which, in addition to containing
grunts, hold ammo and health.

E4M2 - The Tower of Despair:

#1 - Jump down the shaft at the start and turn around.  Look up and shoot
the large red symbol.  Look straight ahead.  A plate of stone will move.
Touch the dagger behind it.  The cages in the two far corners of the room
will lower, giving access to a double-barrelled shotgun and shells.

#2 - Exit the room you jump into at the start and walk down the hall to
the right.  At the end is a section where the metal that follows the
bottom of the wall ends.  Shoot it and the wall will open, revealing
health and a ring of the shadows.

#3 - Enter the secret room described in secret #2.  Wait for the door to
close.  There will be a tiny passage to one side of the door.  At the end
is a dagger.  Press the dagger and open the door again.  Exit and walk
down the ramp that has been revealed.  You will be on a beam of wood in
the room you described in secret #1.  A blue armor is accessible from here.

#4 - Leave the room described in secret #1 and take the left path.  Jump
through the water and into the room below.  At one corner of the room is a
passage.  Walk through the passage.  Enter the large hallway at the end.
Walk down the hallway and take the left path.  Go up the ramp.  Jump onto
the beam of wood.  Walk up the ramp and jump onto the next beam.  Walk to
the right and onto the stone ledge.  Walk to the edge and look down.
Below is a set of bars separating two areas.  On top of the bars is a 100
health box.  Jump down onto the box.

#5 - Go to the room with wooden beams described in secret #4.  Get onto
the higher wooden beam and turn left.  You will be facing a platform
hanging from the ceiling.  Jump to it.  Shoot the red symbol in front of
you and it will open.  Jump into it and ride the lift up.  Enter the room
and turn right.  Shoot the wall and it will open.  Jump down to get
several health boxes.

E4M3 - The Elder God Shrine:

#1 - Take the teleport out of the graveyard.  You will be in front of a
pool of water.  There is a small platform with a lift on it in the
middle.  Ride the lift up to the ledge.  There will be two stained glass
windows on the wall.  Walk through them to find some health.

#2 - From the ledge, turn left and go through the stone portal.  Walk to
the end of the hall and turn right.  Walk to the end of the hall again and
turn left.  Walk to the end of the hall and turn right.  Push the button
and the floor will lower.  There will be a blue armor, a double barrelled
shotgun, a quad damage, and a lift that takes you to a button which
raises the floor.

#3 - Go to secret #3.  Walk onto the lift and walk back off.  The lift
will rise and there will be a slipgate beneath.  Jump in and you will
find a red armor and ammo.

E4M4 - The Palace of Hate:

#1 - From the start, go up the ramp, turn right, and go to the top.
Enter the large room.  Walk to the left and go to the side of the large
center structure.  There will be an archway leading to the healing pool.
Shoot the large symbol and a wall will open.  Inside is a pentagram.

#2 - The healing pool itself is a secret.

#3 - Go to the healing pool.  Walk around to the back and go up the
stairs.  On the right is a lift.  Step onto the lift and back off of it.
Jump down.  There will be a red armor and a button which lets you escape.

#4 - Go to the lift described in secret #3.  Ride it up and step off.
Walk to the right and follow the hall.  Take the first ramp on your
right.  Enter the corridor.  Turn right and walk to the end.  Turn left
and walk to the end.  Turn left and get the ammo.  The walls on your
right and left will lower.  Step on the lift revealed at your left.  When
it rises, you will be in a closed room.  One of the walls will open,
revealing a quake damage and a slipgate to the end of this series of
corridors.

#5 - Go to the silver key.  There will be a slipgate suspended from the
wall.  Beneath it is a small hole in the ground.  Walk underneath it and
look down. Jump and shoot a rocket at the same time.  If you don't have a
rocket launcher, shoot a grenade into the small hole and jump right
before it explodes.  Either way blasts you into the slipgate, leading to
a ring of the shadows.

E4M5 - Hell's Atrium:

#1 - Go through the gold key door.  Step on the button in the middle.  A
lift will lower.  Run and get on it.  When it rises, turn around.  There
will be a glowing red button on the wall.  Shoot it and a bridge will
raise.  Walk across the bridge to reach ammo, health, a quad damage, and
100 health box.

#2 - Go through the gold key door.  Climb up the stairs on your left and
get the super nail gun.  Climb the stairs on your left and jump down to
the right.  Press the button and the floor will lower to reach a wooden
area.  Turn left and walk forward.  Go down the ramp.  Go either left or
right and walk down the stairs (You end up at the same place).  Take the
lightning gun and turn around.  Walk up the ramp.  Turn left and go
forward.  Turn right and enter the room.  Step on the button in the
middle.  The stained glass windows will open.  Walk into the one directly
in front of you and turn right.  The stone texture on the right wall
should be rotated 90 degrees from the other walls.  Shoot it and the wall
will lower.  Ride the lift up.  Step onto the platform and jump into the
slime at left.  Underneath the platform is a yellow armor and a pentagram.

#3 - From the platform described in #2, walk around the room to your
right, jumping between ledges.  Eventually you will come to a stone
hall.  Down the hall is a cell pack.

#4 - Method #1: Walk to the end of the stone hall described in secret #2. 
You will be above the wooden area you passed through before.  Walk onto
the stone support on your left.  Jump to the support on your right.  Keep
jumping until you reach the last support.  These jumps are easiest to
start from the top of the support and to end at the bottom of the next. 
You should be over a large, open area with a slipgate below and to the
right.  The next support is 90 degrees to your left.  Reaching this 
support is easier if you run off of the support and let your momentum 
carry you to the next.  On this support and the next are ammo and 
health.

Method #2: Beneath the two supports with the items is a flame holder.  
Start from the wall opposite the holder and a little to the left or right.
Aim yourself at the flame.  Run forward, jump onto the holder, and then, 
from the top of the holder, jump forward.  This must be done very 
quickly.  If it works, you will be on top of one of the supports.

Method #3: Use a rocket jump from the ground beneath the supports.

Secret level - Get the silver key.  Go to the end of the level.  You
will reach a pool of lava with four supports sticking out and a strange
metal object hanging above.  Do NOT use your silver key to drop the
object!  Instead, jump across the supports to reach the other side.  On
your left will be a silver key door.  Open it to reach the secret level.
(Note that a wall covers the door if you drop the metal object)

E4M6 - The Pain Maze:

#1 - Jump down from the start area.  Enter the room and turn left.  You
should be facing a pillar supporting the ceiling.  Press the button on
the opposite side of the pillar.  The wall near where you entered the
room will open.  Jump up and enter it and ride the lift up.  You will be
near the silver key and the altar.  There is ammo here.

#2 - Jump down from the start area and enter the room.  Walk to the
right and enter the door.  Jump into the pool of water.  Turn left and
enter the passage.  Directly above the entrance is a room with a biosuit,
lightning gun, and ammo.

#3 - Enter the pool of water described in secret #2.  Walk through the
passage on your left.  You will emerge in a room with a platform in the
middle.  Swim to the opposite side of the platform.  There will be a
secret door beneath the surface of the platform.  Shoot it and it will
open, revealing ammo and a pentagram.

#4 - Climb onto the platform described in secret #3.  Ride up the gold
key platform.  Directly above you will be a design on the ceiling.  On
the side of the room opposite the slipgate is will be a platform and a
wooden beam on the wall.  Walk to the woodem beam and shoot the design on
the ceiling.  The beam will rise, giving access to the platform.  On the
platform is a red armor.

E4M7 - Azure Agony:

#1 - From the start, walk through the door you see in front of you.
The floor will open and you will fall through.  Press the two buttons on
both ends of the U shaped room and a lift will come down.  Ride it up and
go through the door on your left.  Walk down all the stairs and you will
be in the red hallway.  Turn right and walk to the end.  Go up the stairs
on your left.  Walk to the left.  You will see a quad damage.  Take it.
As you do so, the floor will open and you will be in a slime pool.  Avoid
the first slipgate and walk around to reach another slipgate.  It leads to
a platform near the false floor.  On it is a red armor, health, and ammo.

#2 - Take the same stairway from the red hall as described in #1, but
go right.  Walk to the end of the hall and go up the stairs on your left.
Walk to the end of this hall and go down both flights of stairs at the
end.  In front of you should be a set of stairs with an unusually large
first step and a red button behind them.  Stand on the stairs and shoot
the button.  The stairs will rise, leading to a platform with ammo and a
ring of the shadows.

#3&4 - Go to the platform described in #2.  Halfway across the
platform, you will have two walls on either side of you with two bright
spots on them.  Shooting them opens the walls, giving you one rocket box
in each.

#5 - Go to the platform described in #2.  At one end is a platform with a
100 health box on it.  Use a rocket jump to boost yourself up to it or go
through secret #8.

#6 - Go to the platform described in #2.  Walk to the ledge with the 100
health box on it and turn right.  Shoot the wall and it will open,
revealing health and a quad damage.

#7 - Again, go up the same stairway described in #1 and turn right.  Walk
up the stairs again and go to the end of the hall.  Take the stairs to
your left.  On your right will be a large pool of water with a red
stained glass design overhead.  Jump into the water and turn around.
Press the wooden button.  Turn around and go through the black slipgate.
You will be back at the edge of the pool.  Go back the the red hallway.
One end will have opened, revealing ammo.

#8 - Go back to the pool of water.  Shoot the red stained glass.  A
platform will extend from the far edge of the pool.  Jump to it.  Walk
through the hallway.  You will be in a room with four ramps surrounded by
water and the silver key in the center.  Jump into the water.  Swim
underneath the right ramp.  Shoot the wall beneath it.  It opens,
revealing a black slipgate to secret #5.

#9 - Go into the silver key room and jump into the water again.  This
time, go underneath the far ramp and shoot the wall.  Inside are two boxes
of rockets.

E4M8 - The Nameless City:

#1 - Walk down the hall at the start and turn left.  Go up the ramp.
Turn right and walk through the courtyard.  Take the hall on the right.
Go down the dark passage on your right and climb up the ramp.  There will
be an opening on the wall in front of you.  Jump and press the button on
the far wall.  Turn right and enter the hallway that has opened.  Go to
the right and ride up the lift.  Jump into the hole.  You will land on
a ledge that leads to a small alcove.  Inside is a red armor.

#2 - Go through the dark hallway described above in #1.  There will be
a deep pit near the ledge you landed on in secret #1.  Beneath the edge of
the pit is another ledge.  Jump onto the ledge.  One of the walls will
have a small alcove and a wall which opens to reveal some ammo.  Inside
the pit opposite the alcove and ammo is a small ledge with ammo, health,
and a quad damage.

#3 - The small room inside the gold key door is a secret.  Inside is
health, ammo, and a button which lowers a lift near the platform that had
the gold key.

#4 - Go through the silver key door.  Walk up the ramp on your right.
One of the bars near the platform with ammo is fake.  Walk onto it and
you will fall through.  Inside is a 100 health and a button to let you
escape.

Shub Niggurath's Pit:

#1 - Go to the end of the ledge around the pool of lava.  You should see
a slipgate.  Go to the edge of the ledge and look down.  You should see a
small path below.  Fall down onto it.  Walk along it and you will reach a
small room.  Inside is a quad damage and a slipgate to the ledge going
around the pool.

Contributors

Author: Kyle R. Hofmann

Secrets:

  Aftershock
  Jim Bucher
  Eric Chapman
  Enigma from the Adrenaline Vault
  Matt Fihn
  Brandon Fish
  Kenneth R. Halman
  Kyle R. Hofmann
  Matt Hudson
  Martin C. Martin
  Bryce E. Maryot
  Matt McClure
  Mike Simpson
  Ante Smolcic
  Scott Thomas
  Steve Pimental
  Dale Rech
  Greg Wood

Copyright 1996-1999 by Kyle R. Hofmann